How to Generate Certificate Signing Request (CSR) in Lotus Domino 5
This document provides instructions for generating a Certificate Signing Request (CSR) for Lotus Domino 5.x. If you are unable to use these instructions for your server, RapidSSL recommends that you contact the server vendor or the organization, which supports Lotus Domino.
NOTE: To generate a CSR, you will need to create a key pair for your server. These two items are a digital certificate key pair and cannot be separated. If you lose your public/private key file or your password and generate a new one, your SSL Certificate will no longer match.
Step 1: Generate a Private Key
NOTE: All certificates that will expire after October 2013 must have a 2048 bit key size.
1. Launch the Domino Administration client.
2. Select File-Open Server and select the Domino server you wish to administer
3. Click the file tab
4. Double click on Server Certificate Administration database (certsrv.nsf)
5. From the administration panel, click System Databases and choose
Open Domino Server Certificate Administration (CERTSRV.NSF) on the local machine.
6. Click Create Key Ring.
7. Enter a name for the key ring file in the "Key Ring File Name" field.
8. Enter a password for the server key ring file in the "Key Ring Password" field.
NOTE: Password is an alphanumeric set of characters that protects the key ring from unauthorized use.
The password is case sensitive. You should specify at least 12 alphanumeric characters for the password.
Step 2: Generate a Certificate Signing Request
1. Specify the components of your server's distinguished name.
The CSR needs to contain the following attributes
- Country Name (C): Use the two-letter code without punctuation for country, for example: US or CA.
- State or Province (S): Spell out the state completely; do not abbreviate the state or province name, for example: California.
- Locality or City (L): The Locality field is the city or town name, for example: Berkeley.
- Organization (O): If your company or department has an &, @, or any other symbol using the shift key in its name, you must spell out the symbol or omit it to enroll, for example: XY & Z Corporation would be XYZ Corportation or XY and Z Corportation.
- Organizational Unit (OU): This field is the name of the department or organization unit making the request.
- Common Name (CN): The Common Name is the Host + Domain Name. It looks like "www.company.com" or "company.com".
2. Click Create Key Ring.
3. After you read the information about the key ring file and distinguished server name, click OK.
4. Click Create Certificate Request.
5. If you want to log information about this request in the Server Certificate Administration application, select Yes in the "Log Certificate Request" field. Otherwise, select No.
6. Enter the password of the key ring file you have specified when you were creating the key ring Step 1.
7. You have just created a key pair and a CSR.
9. To copy and paste the information into the enrollment form, open the file in a Notepad or Vi that does not add extra characters.
10. Proceed with Enrollment.
During the verification process, RapidSSL may need to contact your organization.
Be sure to provide an email address, phone number and fax number that will be checked and responded to quickly. These fields are not part of the certificate.
WarungSSL has made efforts to ensure the accuracy and completeness of the information in this document. However, WarungSSL makes no warranties of any kind (whether express, implied or statutory) with respect to the information contained herein. WarungSSL assumes no liability to any party for any loss or damage (whether direct or indirect) caused by any errors, omissions, or statements of any kind contained in this document.
Further, WarungSSL assumes no liability arising from the application or use of the product or service described herein and specifically disclaims any representation that the products or services described herein do not infringe upon any existing or future intellectual property rights. Nothing herein grants the reader any license to make, use, or sell equipment or products constructed in accordance with this document. Finally, all rights and privileges related to any intellectual property right described herein are vested in the patent, trademark, or service mark owner, and no other person may exercise such rights without express permission, authority, or license secured from the patent, trademark, or service mark owner. Geotrust reserves the right to make changes to any information herein without further notice.