How to Generate Certificate Signing Request (CSR) in cPanel 11
This document provides instructions for generating a Certificate Signing Request (CSR) for cPanel 11. If you are unable to perform these instructions for your server, RapidSSL recommends that you contact the server vendor or the organization that supports cPanel.
NOTE: To generate a CSR, you will need to create a key pair for your server. These two items are a digital certificate key pair and cannot be separated. If you lose your public/private key file or your password and generate a new one, your SSL Certificate will no longer match.
NOTE: All certificates that will expire after October 2013 must have a 2048 bit key size.
To generate a Certificate Signing Request (CSR) file using cPanel 11 follow the steps below:
Step 1: Generate Private Key (KEY)
1. Login to the cPanel 'Control Panel'
2. Click SSL / TLS Manager under the Security section.
3. Click on the Generate, view, upload, or delete your private keys link.
4. When the page loads, locate the "Generate a New Key" section. Select the domain name from the pull-down menu, or type the domain name into the Host field
5. Select the key bit-length as 2048.
6. Click the Generate button.
7. Click the Return to SSL Manager link.
8. When the page loads, click the Go Back link. This will take you to the main "SSL/TLS Manager" page.
Step 2: Generate Certificate Signing Request (CSR)
1. Click on the Generate, view, or delete SSL certificate signing requests link.
2. When the page loads, enter the following:
- Host - Select the fully qualified domain name from the pull-down menu (Common Name)
- Country - Use the two-letter code without punctuation for country, for example: US or CA
- State - Spell out the state completely. Do not abbreviate the state or province name, for example: California
- City - Enter the city's name, where your organization has been registered. Do not abbreviate.
- Company - Enter the company name. If your company or department has an &, @, or any other symbol using the shift key in its name, you must spell out the symbol or omit it to enroll, for example: XY & Z Corporation would be XYZ Corporation or XY and Z Corporation.
- Company Division - This field is the name of the department or organization unit making the request. For example: IT
- Email - Enter an email address.
- Pass Phrase - Enter the private key pass phrase.
3. Click the Generate button.
4. Click the Go Back link.
5. Submit the CSR file during the enrolment process
For additional information please refer to cPanel 11 Documentation.
WarungSSL has made efforts to ensure the accuracy and completeness of the information in this document. However, WarungSSL makes no warranties of any kind (whether express, implied or statutory) with respect to the information contained herein. WarungSSL assumes no liability to any party for any loss or damage (whether direct or indirect) caused by any errors, omissions, or statements of any kind contained in this document.
Further, WarungSSL assumes no liability arising from the application or use of the product or service described herein and specifically disclaims any representation that the products or services described herein do not infringe upon any existing or future intellectual property rights. Nothing herein grants the reader any license to make, use, or sell equipment or products constructed in accordance with this document. Finally, all rights and privileges related to any intellectual property right described herein are vested in the patent, trademark, or service mark owner, and no other person may exercise such rights without express permission, authority, or license secured from the patent, trademark, or service mark owner. Geotrust reserves the right to make changes to any information herein without further notice.